Call to Action: Tourism Labour Shortage
Dear TIAC Members,
The House of Commons Standing Committee on Human Resources (HUMA) has released its report and recommendations to the Labour Minister proposing changes to Canada's Temporary Foreign Worker Program.
Key recommendations pertaining to tourism include:
- Maintaining the TFW cap at 20%, but with exemptions for employers in resort, remote and/or seasonal regions;
- Creating a trusted employer program;
- Providing multi-entry visas for TFW employees;
- Improving the quality of labour market data;
- Expanding skills-based immigration programs to include works in lower-wage industries.
The government has 120 days (or until January 2017) to respond to these recommendations with policy decisions.
TIAC is calling on Canada's tourism industry to support the government's adoption of the proposed recommendations.
TIAC Members are encouraged to contact their local MP to express support, to provide details on how labour shortages impact their business, and to explain how the HUMA Report's recommendations will benefit their business and community.
All letters should copy:
Hon. Patty Hadju
Minister of Employment, Workforce Development & Labour
Hon. Ahmed Hussen
Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the HUMA Report and this call to action for the tourism industry, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Your participation in this matter is greatly appreciated.